10.28.2007

Mmm...

I must share with you my re-creation of the Whole Foods turkey & brie panini. I made it for lunch today and it was gooooooooooooooood. And easy. Behold:

2 slices bread of choice, WF uses thick focaccia but I used hi-fiber whole wheat (it's what I had on hand)
a few thick slices of brie (cut off the rind, duh)
raspberry or fig preserves (I used Smuckers all-fruit raspberry)
a few slices of turkey breast (from the deli, not that pre-packaged crap, sorry Oscar Meyer! I used sun-dried tomato turkey breast, yum)
a handful of mixed greens
butter (I like Smart Balance Light with flax oil... it's spreadable and really tasty and good for you)

Well, this is pretty self-explanatory, but whatev:

Heat a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Spread one side of both slices of bread with butter. Spread the other side of one slice with preserves. Put that slice of bread butter-side-down in the skillet. Layer with turkey, brie, and mixed greens. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter-side-up. Cook a few minutes and then flip, until bread has reached your desired shade of golden brown. Transport to a serving plate, cut in half*, and enjoy. Muah!

*It is important to cut the sandwich in half, because you get to see all the gooey brie melt down the sides of the bread and the layers look pretty. Pretty layers! Yay!

5 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Ohh, that sounds soo good! I would make it if it didn't involve cooking. WF makes great chicken salad, too!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say hello, because I had the same feeling about "Breaking free from compulsive eating". My goals changed since I first read the book and so did my eating, but I am absolutely with Geneen on all the psychological stuff and am still working on nourishing, well, yes my heart.

I am glad you find her book fitting your needs!

Greetings, Marianne

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sandwich sounds great!

One of my favorite sandwiches was brie and apricot preserves inbetween two thin slices of super crusty/grainy artisanal bread.
Brush gently with a touch of butter and put in the panini maker.

Another, turkey or ham, grueyere, with fresh thyme/dijon mustard/honey spread.

I feel like I'm stalking your blog..and I kind of am because I'm currently working through the same things. I need some encouraging words from someone who can relate, 'cuz baby, some days the "insanity" still calls.
I have to pull myself out of this, but sometimes it takes a phone call or a stray comment and WHAM!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Ok, that will be Sundays lunch! It sounds divine. Nothing quite like melted cheese....

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Hey Sara, I love your blog and you are going through exactly what I am going through, but I am struggling more I think. I got my realisation when I read "If not dieting, then what?". Really good read, plus I have read a few more since. My issue is trying to only eat when I am hunrgy and not when I think I should. That is the hardets thing. I am so used to thinking about food constantly (eating every 2-3 hrs) so now how do I turn of my brain. I don't want to think about food all the time.

Sorry for rambling. I love reading about the no diet approach and find myself nodding at all your points. I would to prefer to have desert and enjoy it, then have a 6 pack. My bf is happy and likes my cures as well.

Thanks for your blog and I will be back to read...

Kristy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page