11.10.2007

Sat-ur-day...

I did our grocery shopping at Whole Foods today for the very first time ever. I usually buy a few items from Whole Foods and do the majority of the shopping at Super Target or Wal-Mart. Today I convinced myself that it wouldn't be that much more expensive, especially when armed with a half-assed grocery list and a very general idea of things we would need for a week's worth of food.

I did pretty well, if I do say so myself. The damage: $101.73. We budget $100/week for groceries, is that excessive? Be honest, is it? We're a family of 3. And that includes things like toilet paper and diapers and deodorant. Whatev, I think $100 is right on, give or take, ya know? On the menu this week: Kashi lemongrass coconut chicken (a frozen meal, yes, but it looked goooooooooood and cost me almost FOUR DOLLARS, and FOUR DOLLARS is delicious, right?), bacon, egg and cheese breakfast burritos made with cage free eggs (happy chickens taste better!) and uncured, center cut smokehouse bacon, baked chicken with "all natural" roasted chicken gravy and olive oil and garlic roasted red potatoes (add a side salad for me, please), high-fiber, high-protein spaghetti with lean ground round and Napa Valley Cabernet marinara made with plum tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil (it's true, I could have just said spaghetti, but doesn't that sound so much better, almost virtuous?), and buffalo burgers on wheat buns with salt and pepper crinkle-cut fries. Oh, and I got an uncured pepperoni pizza for my husband. I'm sure he will just LOVE IT. He'll probably take one bite, make a sour face and declare that this pizza needs nitrates, dammit!

I just googled pepperoni and uncured and nitrates and came across this site. Interesting! Because you're too lazy to make a sandwich, heh. *yawn*

We took Ethan to see Bee Movie tonight. Well, this afternoon... the movie started at ten till 5 p.m. Ethan thew a fit for about 30 seconds about 5 minutes into the movie. For the most part he was amazingly well behaved. He snarfed popcorn (for the love of GAWD, 1 medium diet coke + 1 medium cherry coke + 1 medium popcorn = $14.50? Really? REALLY? Because we rarely go to the movies and that is certainly not going to bring us back for more...) (Oh, and we ate MAYBE 1/3 of the medium popcorn, with Ethan eating the majority. I saw some chicks order a large and it was massive, ginormous, insanely big. OINK FUCKING OINK, AMERICA. Christ.) (Yes, we are Parents O' The Year because we fed our toddler popcorn and soda for dinner one night. PARENTS O' THE YEAR, I say!)

Anyway, my question to you is: Do you cringe when people take their youngins to the movies? It was a pretty good experience but I can't say we'll make a regular habit of taking E to the movies. Our next one will probably be in another year or so, unless a straight-up kid-friendly movie comes out sometime soon. But I mentioned to D on our drive to the theater that I used to HATE when parents would bring their annoying little kids to the theater. Now I am THAT PARENT. But E isn't annoying! He's... opinionated. And brilliant. And, and... outspoken. Right? Fuck me.

6 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'm going to see a kids movie, then I expect to see some kids there and I understand if there are kids talking or occasionally crying or whatever. It is not, not, not, not okay to bring your kids to The Passion of the Christ, Freddie vs. Jason, 28 Days/Weeks Later, or American Gangster. And not just because there are adults trying to watch the movie, but because they are violent and scary even for adults.

I agree with you on the Kashi meals. They are rather good and they make me full for a long time. I appreciate that.

And on the pizza with nitrites? Well, my fiance doesn't notice when we have nitrite-free foods, so I don't think that your family will know either.

Now, if there was no cheese on the pizza that would be an entirely different problem . . . .

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Beth said...

100 dollars a week is not excessive at all for groceries! I would expect them to cost more, in fact. You did great going to whole foods. Next time if youwant, pick up some kale and spinach leaves. They make a great green smoothie when mixed with bananas!

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You realize the biggest difference between then and now is that you're going to BEE MOVIE. It's perfectly acceptable because it is a children's show. Like Abi said, it's not like the 2 year old I saw in Hostel (don't even ASK why I saw that anyway). Fucking child abuse, I tell you.

BTW, that nitrate-free pepperoni is quite possibly the best pepperoni you will ever eat. I'm not kidding. Whole Foods is the bomb. Try their 364 products--it's the generic organic and totally affordable. I love their frozen mac and cheese. Not crazy on calories and very tasty. I've had that kashi dinner too--pretty good. The pesto pasta one is also good. Annie's breakfast burritos are fantastic.

And I spend $75 a week (on a good week) on groceries FOR MYSELF. Trust me, you're doing well. Besides, I never get out of Whole Foods for less than a hundred.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger doidle said...

$100 a week is phenomenal. I have a family of 4 and I spend at least $900 a month. And I track it on Quicken so I KNOW that's accurate. Wow, i need to reasses my budget!

Don't worry about little ones in theaters! I do it too.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I am especially interested to know how you're doing with your non-diet. I'm somewhat jealous of your new found freedom.

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to my house and do my grocery shopping! LOL!

I bow to the master!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page